Source: Marie Francis | Date: Wednesday, February 6, 2019
Nominations for the esteemed Governor-General’s Achievement Awards (GGAA), part of the Governor-General’s Programme for Excellence (GGPE), is now open to the public. This year's Awards are being presented under the Theme: "Engaging, Empowering, and Inspiring Jamaicans".
Nominees must be Jamaican citizens.
Forty-two (42) persons across three (3) Age-Group categories, each representing a parish, will be selected and honoured for leadership and excellence. The Age-Group Categories are:
- 18-24 Years
- 25-35 Years
- Over 35 Years
The selection criteria focus on: 'Family', 'Youth', 'Education' and the Nominees' impact in their 'Community'. It is also keen on the individual's 'Creativity', 'Originality', 'Initiative', and 'Sustained Accomplishment'. Academic Excellence is an important requirement for Nominees in the 18-35 Age-Group Categories.
Information regarding eligibility for each Age-Group Category, along with both Personal Information and Nomination Forms, can be obtained from, and submitted through, the Office of the Custos in the Parish where the prospective candidate resides.
Persons who have been the recipient of a National Honour or Award are not eligible. The closing date is midnight, Friday, March 15, 2019.
As is customary, Custos for the Parish of Kingston, The Honourable Steadman Fuller, is inviting your participation by acquiring additional details on the process and completing the necessary forms; etc, ALL of which are available for download.
- Award Guidelines. Download from: http://kingstonjp.com/media/publication/ggaa-programme-guidelines-2019
- Nomination Form (To be completed by the Nominator and accompany EACH Nominee's Personal Information Form). Download from: http://kingstonjp.com/media/publication/ggaa-nomination-form-2019-jamaica
- Personal Information Form (To be completed by Nominee). Download from: http://kingstonjp.com/media/publication/ggaa-personal-information-form-pif-2019
- Topics & Tips for Essay or Discussion Questions (Essays to be written by Nominee and submitted with Nomination Forms, which will be discussed during interview - if Nominee is selected/short-listed; hence the Discussion Tips). Download from: http://kingstonjp.com/media/publication/ggaa-topics-tips-essay-or-discussion-questions-2019
- Brief Profile for Nominee (Although not requested, this is always helpful for vetting of submissions and should be submitted as well with the required documents - Nos 1-4 above).
Further, please be advised that given the 'thin line' that exists between the parishes of Kingston AND St Andrew, the Nominee does NOT have to reside in Kingston. However - while NOT a requirement, it would help if the Nominee fulfills ANY ONE of the following:
- Resides in Kingston
- Attends School (incl Tertiary Institutions), works, and / or worships in Kingston
- Carries out community service / volunteerism in Kingston
Submissions should be delivered to The Office of The Custos, Kingston Bookshop Limited, 80 King Street, Kingston by Friday, March 15, 2019.
We look forward to your participation. It is important that we keep 'the flag of excellence', that the Parish of Kingston enjoys in its submissions, flying high!