Source: Marie Francis | Date: Friday, February 21, 2020
Nominations for the esteemed Governor-General’s Achievement Awards (GGAA), part of the Governor-General’s Programme for Excellence (GGPE), is now open to the public. This year's Awards are being presented, once again, under the Theme: "Engaging, Empowering, and Inspiring Jamaicans".
Nominees must be Jamaican citizens.
Forty-two (42) persons across three (3) Age-Group categories, each representing a parish, will be selected and honoured for leadership and excellence. The Age-Group Categories are:
- 18-24 Years
- 25-35 Years
- Over 35 Years
The selection criteria focus on: 'Family', 'Youth', 'Education' and the Nominees' impact in their 'Community'. It is also keen on the individual's 'Creativity', 'Originality', 'Initiative', and 'Sustained Accomplishment'. Academic Excellence is an important requirement for Nominees in the 18-35 Age-Group Categories.
Persons who have been the recipient of a National Honour or Award are not eligible. The closing date is midnight, Monday, March 16, 2020.
As is customary, Custos for the Parish of Kingston, The Honourable Steadman Fuller, is inviting your assistance and participation by identifying and nominating persons who would fulfil the requirements. Additional details on the process and completing the necessary forms; etc, are ALL available for download.
- Award Guidelines. (Please read carefully before completing both GGAA Nomination and Personal Information Forms). Download from: https://www.kingstonjp.com/sites/default/files/publications/GGAA%20-%20Programme%20Guidelines%20%282020%29.pdf
- Nomination Form (To be completed by the Nominator and accompany EACH Nominee's Personal Information Form). Applicants in the 18-24 and 25-35 age-group categories are being urged to apply exclusively online. For candidates over 35 years old, ALL documents must be submitted to the Office of the Custos in the Parish where the candidate or Nominee resides. Download from: https://ggpe.org.jm/nomination/
- Personal Information Form (To be completed by Nominee). Download from: https://ggpe.org.jm/personal-information-form/
- Topics & Tips for Essay or Discussion Questions (Essays to be written by Nominee and submitted with Nomination Forms, which will be discussed during interview - if Nominee is selected/short-listed; hence the Discussion Tips). Download from: https://www.kingstonjp.com/sites/default/files/publications/GGAA%20Topics%20%26%20Tips%20for%20Essay%20or%20Discussion%20Questions%20%282020%29.pdf
- Brief Profile for Nominee (Although not requested, this is always helpful for vetting of submissions and should be submitted as well with the required documents - Nos 1-4 above).
Further, please be advised that given the 'thin line' that exists between the parishes of Kingston AND St Andrew, the Nominee does NOT have to reside in Kingston. However - while NOT a requirement, it would help if the Nominee fulfills ANY ONE of the following:
- Resides in Kingston
- Attends School (incl Tertiary Institutions), works, and / or worships in Kingston
- Carries out community service / volunteerism in Kingston
Where instructed, submissions should be delivered to The Office of The Custos, Kingston Bookshop Limited, 80 King Street, Kingston by Monday, March 16, 2020.
We look forward to your participation. It is important that we keep 'the flag of excellence', that the Parish of Kingston enjoys in its submissions, flying high!